|The subject of this article was removed in patch 4.2.0 but remains in World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Classic.
The Master's Key was the key (and attunement) to enter Medivh's tower of Karazhan in Deadwind Pass. It is a reward from the quest . In order for your raid to enter Karazhan, only one person needs to possess the key.
Quest chain at a glance
- Main article: Karazhan Quest Progression
- : Lower City; optional talk to NPC, 5 rep with Violet Eye — : Deadwind Pass; standard soloable exploration quest
- : Deadwind Pass; standard soloable kill quest, can be done at the same time as above
- : Dalaran; talk to NPC
- : Talk with Khadgar in Shattrath City
- : First key part to be found in the Shadow Labyrinth, Auchindoun
- : The second key part is found in The Steamvault and the third key part is found in Arcatraz
- : Talk with Medivh in the Opening the Dark Portal (Black Morass) instance in Caverns of Time. He'll give you his own key.
- : Return to Khadgar
The whole questline rewards 2100 reputation with the Violet Eye.
Some of the quests in this chain have access requirements that may sidetrack a player. These include access into:
- The Arcatraz, either with a key possessed by a party member, or a rogue with 350 lockpicking. (Note that, after a wipe or if a party member is killed and can not be resurrected, you will need the key again to enter the instance.) The key is obtained through a quest chain in Netherstorm. The Arcatraz can only be reached by flying mount or druid flight form.
- Shadow Labyrinth in Auchindoun also requires that a party member have a key, or you have a rogue with 350 lockpicking. The key is in an easy-to-miss chest behind the last boss in Sethekk Halls, also in Auchindoun.
- The Caverns of Time in Tanaris. This requires everyone in your party to have successfully completed Escape from Durnholde Keep in Old Hillsbrad Foothills.
Note: Escape from Durnholde Keep is part of a quest chain that starts with , which you obtain from Andormu outside of the Caverns of Time itself.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Removed. The Karazhan gate no longer requires a key to open.
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): No longer required to enter Karazhan, but still required to open the gates.
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Added.