Timewalking Campaigns (aka Chromie Time) allow players who have already experienced Battle for Azeroth and reached level 50 on at least one character to choose to level any subsequent characters in a different expansion. While a Timewalking Campaign is active, all zones will scale up to level 50 instead of their usual level caps. Veteran players can pick a campaign from Chromie near the Stormwind Embassy or Orgrimmar Embassy and get adventuring.
In World of Warcraft: Dragonflight, the level scaling will increase to 60, and the Shadowlands will become a Timewalking Campaign option. New players will be directed from Exile's Reach to Battle for Azeroth content for leveling, then to the Dragon Isles.
Chromie offers six campaign choices, each corresponding to a specific expansion:
Quell the fury of the elements and defeat Deathwing to prevent Azeroth's destruction!
Journey to a shattered world and stop the Burning Legion from invading Azeroth!
Answer the call of the Argent Crusade and end the Lich King's reign!
Set out on adventure as you explore the wonders--and the dangers--of Pandaria!
- Whatever you do, do not get between a pandaren and their brew. It'll be unbearably painful if you do!
Tame a savage land, raise your armies, and join legendary heroes in the defense of both worlds!
Wield the most powerful weapons on Azeroth and fight to free our world from the Legion's grasp!
- If you find a powerful weapon, just make sure it isn't corrupted by the Burning Legion or Old Gods, okay?
- The Cataclysm
Aid Azeroth's many civilizations in the wake of the aftermath of the Shattering.
- Portal to Outland
- Fall of the Lich King
Answer the Argent Crusade's call to disrupt Arthas's plans, and put his undead scourge on ice!
- Wilds of Pandaria
Untouched by war for over 10,000 years, the Horde and Alliance are at war after the disappearance of the White Pawn, but a dark secret lives within the earth. The factions of Azeroth ignored the pandaren's warnings that emotions manifest in dangerous ways in their mystic land.
- The Iron Horde
- The Legion Invasion
Claim your weapon, establish your order hall, and stop the demonic assault on our world!
Notes and trivia
- Timewalking Campaigns can be swapped at any time, and you can even pause experience gains if you want to finish an entire expansion's storyline without the level 50 interruption.
- After choosing a Timewalking Campaign, you are able to use dungeon and raid finders of that expansion's instances.
- Chromie appears as an hourglass on both the map and minimap for Timewalking Campaigns.
- According to former lead designer Greg Street, fixing the leveling timeline using Chromie is "something we wanted to do for years".
- Once the player has accepted the Shadowlands intro quest , Chromie stops offering Timewalking Campaigns, only offering the option to return to the present timeline. Since the quest is automatically accepted, and abandoning it causes the quest to be automatically accepted a few seconds later, it makes changing timelines (or even activating Timewalking Campaigns at all) very cumbersome at levels 48/49.
- The Portal to Outland description states that the Dark Portal was dormant since the end of the Second War. However, the Dark Portal was reopened two years after the end of the Second War by the Horde of Draenor.
- The Iron Horde description states that Garrosh Hellscream has escaped through the Dark Portal to Draenor's past. However, he used a timeways portal opened with the by Kairozdormu in the Temple of the White Tiger during the trial of Garrosh.
- ^ Dragonflight Group Interview with Ion Hazzikostas
- ^ World of Warcraft: Dragonflight Interview with Jackie Wiley and Tina Wang
- ^ Greg Street on Twitter (2020-10-23). Archived from the original on 2020-10-23. “More WoW: Made a warrior to relive Pandaria. Some thoughts for those interested: 1) Fixing the weird time streams with Chromie is something we wanted to do for years. Glad the team finally tackled it and using that for alternate leveling experiences was clever.”