Un'Goro Crater (Classic)
|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 4.0.3a but is present in World of Warcraft: Classic.
- For the lore of the zone and its status after the Cataclysm, see Un'Goro Crater.
|Population||300 (a smattering of individuals from all races)|
|Minor settlements||Marshal's Refuge (50)|
Lush Un'Goro Crater ("God Lands" in the Qiraji language) lies at the southern part of Southern Kalimdor, between Tanaris and Silithus. Although the area is almost completely isolated from the rest of the world and sandwiched between three deserts, the region is filled with exotic plant life and even more exotic creatures. Ranging from peaceful earth elementals to raging devilsaurs, the locals are not to be trifled with.
The pylons on the ridges of the crater defy explanation, despite close examination. They could mark where the titans might reappear during their second visit to Azeroth, a visitation supported by holograms both in Uldaman and in front of Uldum.
- 1 History
- 2 Getting there
- 3 Geography
- 4 Notable characters
- 5 Quests
- 6 Resources
- 7 Wild creatures
- 8 Pylons and Power Crystals
- 9 Inspiration and homages
- 10 Patch changes
- 11 References
- 12 External links
- ...The night elf army was pushed back through Un'Goro Crater, to the borders of the Tanaris desert. Something in Un'Goro prevented the Qiraji from being able to take the land. I do not quite understand this word but I believe it to mean 'God Lands'. It is stated that they could not 'take the God Lands'.
- Fascinating, this coincides with theories of Un'Goro being the home of the Titans when they inhabited Kalimdor. Perhaps Aman'Thul himself watched over 'The God Lands'. Hrm, curious...
Aside from this direct reference little is known regarding the crater's fascinating history, save that the crater is ancient beyond living memory.
Aru-talis may be an incorrect night elven legend about Un'Goro Crater.
- Alliance and Horde
- Un'Goro can be reached from Silithus to the west or Tanaris to the east. In the South-Western most point of Tanaris there is a path between two dark-grey stone pillars (in Thistleshrub Valley). In some places it is possible to jump into the crater in stages, avoiding death. However, those who don't want to take the chance can use the ramps leading down to the crater floor, found in southwestern Tanaris and northeastern Silithus. The flight path for the zone is in the center of the northern crater wall, known as Marshal's Refuge.
Un'Goro is a massive crater full of amazingly lush jungle and teeming with life. Dinosaurs roam freely here, as the land is wild and unpredictable. At the center of the crater a volcano rises, and Fire Elementals prowl. In addition, many strange and beautiful crystals dot the landscape, their purpose unknown to most but an object of research for some of the adventurous scientists camped in the area.
Maps and subregions
|Fire Plume Ridge • Fungal Rock • Golakka Hot Springs • Ironstone Plateau|
|Lakkari Tar Pits • Marshal's Refuge • The Marshlands • The Slithering Scar|
|Terror Run • The Shaper's Terrace • Waygate|
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access|
|Tanaris||40-50||East||By foot or flightpaths from Marshal's Refuge to Gadgetzan|
|Silithus||55-60||West||By foot or flightpaths from Marshal's Refuge to Cenarion Hold|
- Main article: Un'Goro Crater NPCs
At Marshal's Refuge, Williden Marshal has led a team of explorers and biologists to take refuge from the crater's monstrous wildlife. Near the entrance to Tanaris, Torwa Pathfinder attempts to hunt down the elusive Lar'korwi. And at Fire Plume Ridge, poor Ringo desperately awaits the help of bold adventurers to guide him to safety from the powerful fire elementals that roam the crags, led by the terrible Blazerunner.
- Main article: Un'Goro Crater quests
Quests in the crater range between level 50 and 55. Most quests in this area involve performing tasks for the scientists found at Marshal's Refuge, studying the life, history, and crystals of the crater. There is also a chain in which players help to identify and deal with the silithid menace which has appeared in southern Un'Goro.
Un'goro Crater is a region largely untouched by the advances of modern society, and as such boasts a large variety of natural minerals, plants, soil and crystals.
Miners will find both Thorium Veins and Rich Thorium Veins as well as a smattering of Mithril Deposits throughout the crater, particularly around the walls. More can be found at Fire Plume ridge, in the middle of the crater, and also in the South West part.
Herbalists will find a variety of herbs growing throughout the crater. is commonly found near the northern tar pits. and, more commonly, are available on grassy areas. is found by the water. and grow on the hot rocks of Fire Plume Ridge.
Soil may be found in numerous piles around the crater. Harvesting this is possible even without a profession, and usually nets 1-4 Un'goro soil samples. This is used together with Tharlendris seeds and an Evergreen Pouch to produce , used in repeatable reputation quests for Thunder Bluff/Cenarion Circle and Darnassus/Cenarion Circle, depending on your faction. It can be sold to vendors for 1 46.
Also available are the Power crystals: blue, red, green and yellow. These can be used with the power pylons in exchange for temporary buffs. These are accessed after completing a quest for J.D. Collie, a gnome located at the back of the crystal cave in Marshal's Refuge, who gives a manual instructing which crystals are used with what pylon. They are also used in a few Arcanum quests. They cannot be sold to vendors but can be auctioned or traded.
List of Un'Goro Crater resources:
- (Skinning level 55-60 elite devilsaurs)
- Tar beasts
- Fire elementals
- A troll, Simone the Inconspicuous, who is really a succubus, Simone the Seductress in disguise.
- A Fresh Threshadon Carcass appears in the zone, but how a threshadon got there is unknown. The Marshlands may flood.
Pylons and Power Crystals
For more on this, read the Power crystals.
Inspiration and homages
- The name and region is most likely inspired by the Ngorongoro Crater in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area of northeastern Tanzania, Africa.
- A very large number of NPCs and objects in Un'Goro Crater are a direct reference to the 1970s Saturday Morning TV show (and feature film) Land of the Lost. Examples of references include:
- Marshal's Refuge; The last names of the main characters in Land of the Lost was Marshal.
- One of the three main characters in Land of the Lost is Holly. This is referenced in Hol'anyee, as well as Will from the show being referenced in his Un'Goro counterpart.
- A major plot element in Land of the Lost are the pylons, devices of unknown origin which open portals through space, time, and dimensions. They are powered and controlled though consoles comprised of patterns of red, green, blue, and yellow crystals.
- The inspiration of Un'Goro and Sholazar Basin by Land of the Lost has been seemingly confirmed with the naming of the subzone: The Lost Lands in Sholazar Basin.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Dimetradons in Un'Goro Crater should be found more regularly now.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Additional mithril nodes have been added in Un'Goro crater.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): Fixed the rotating animations of the crystals in Un'Goro Crater.