Uther's TombUther the Lightbringer, at Sorrow Hill in what is now the Western Plaguelands - the only bastion of Light in a dying land. It is connected to the lower parts of Sorrow Hill by the Path of Uther.is a monument dedicated to
High Priest Thel'danis is the caretaker of the tomb.
Following the fall of Lordaeron, the Knights of the Silver Hand led by Uther the Lightbringer, Sage Truthbearer, and Ballador the Bright took control of Andorhal and kept the Scourge at bay until the coming of the now death knight Arthas. Arthas (who had become the greatest of the Lich King's death knights) came to find a magical vessel to carry the remains of Kel'Thuzad to the Sunwell in Quel'Thalas in order to resurrect him. Arthas boldly lead an army of undead scourge killed Sage Truthbearer, Ballador the Bright, Uther the Lightbringer, and their forces. With Uther dead Arthas took the urn of King Terenas for himself.
Uther's body was retrieved by his remaining soldiers, and buried in a great tomb built for him to the south of the ruins of Andorhal, vigilantly guarded by High Priest Thel'danis, the caretaker of the tomb. The headstone shows him in a heroic pose, a tome of Light in one hand, his warhammer in the other. The marker stone before it, written in the Common tongue, reads:
Here lies Uther the Lightbringer
First Paladin - Founder of the Order of the Silver Hand.
Uther lived and died to defend the Kingdom of Lordaeron. Though he was betrayed by his most beloved student, we believe that his spirit lives on. He continues to watch over us, even as the shadows close in around our ruined land. His light is the light of all humanity - and so long as we honor his example, it shall never fade.
The Burning Crusade
This section concerns content related to The Burning Crusade.
Some time after the blood elves joined the Horde, Mehlar Dawnblade, a former student of Uther, wanted to defile Uther's Tomb for training Prince Arthas. However, the Ghost of Uther Lightbringer kept the tomb from being defiled. A Draenei named Anchorite Truuen wants to pay tribute to Uther by recovering the Mark of the Lightbringer. An item that was lost when Uther was killed and was recovered by the Scarlet Crusade. After recovering the mark and taking it to the tomb, the Ghost of Uther Lightbringer tells the player to keep the mark to inspire others.
A beautiful lush pathway now leads to the tomb, lined with tall hedges. And if you kneel before the statue, it gives you a buff called Uther's Blessing, which is also available to Alliance characters after doing the quest of the same name.
Since Lord Fordring's apparent passing, the Light became disturbed and the spirits of the buried near the Tomb became restless. Its High Priest summoned a protective barrier over the tomb. Thel'danis and Mehlar Dawnblade were then aided by the paladins of the Silver Hand.
In the RPG
The only place of any sanity in this cursed land, Uther's Tomb is a simple monument to the fallen hero. A statue of Uther stands on a marble pedestal and the Holy Light shines on this place. Thel'danis, a high elf priest, tends the tomb and the lonely garden surrounding it. He helps those in need and runs an underground railroad to ferry refugees to safety in the south.
- The tomb received a major graphical overhaul at the launch of Battle for Azeroth (for images of the original, see below). However, the area is not used in any Battle for Azeroth content. When asked about the reason for the update in July 2020, Game Director Ion Hazzikostas stated that "Honestly, I don’t one hundred percent recall off the top of my head. I don’t think there’s any elaborate backstory there. I think it’s quite possible it was a side project. We have a range of everything from interns to personal passion projects just refurbishing old parts of the game." He added that since Blizzard usually plans at least one expansion ahead and since Uther plays a prominent role in Shadowlands—the expansion after Battle for Azeroth——the character was likely at the forefront of the developers' minds as they were looking for places to retouch in Lordaeron in connection to the Battle for Lordaeron event at the start of BfA.
- Monuments using the same design as the original tomb can be found in the Stormwind City Cemetery and Forgotten Hill on Tol Barad Peninsula.
- ^ Digging up the Dead (WC3 Undead)
- ^ Warcraft: Legends Volume 1, The Journey
- ^ Frejya's (MVP) Cataclysm Compilation
- ^ Lands of Conflict, pg. 111
- ^ Ian Bates 2020-07-09. Shadowlands Event Server: Interview with Ion Hazzikostas. Blizzplanet. Archived from the original on 2020-07-13.
- ^ Bellular 2020-07-13. …SCOURGE INVASION! Pre-Patch, Shadowland’s Anti Grind, LESS RNG, New Gearing + MORE | Ion Interview (09:00 - 10:10). YouTube. Retrieved on 2020-10-05.