- "Valeera" redirects here. For the green drake, see Valeera (drake).
Champion of the Crimson Ring
|Race||Blood elf (Humanoid)|
|Class||Assassination rogue, Gladiator (formerly)|
|Affiliation(s)||Armies of Legionfall, Uncrowned, House of Wrynn|
|Former affiliation(s)||New Council of Tirisfal, Stormwind, Crimson Ring, Quel'Thalas (ostensibly)|
Anduin Wrynn's personal spy,|
Shadow and Champion of the Uncrowned,
|Former occupation(s)||Varian Wrynn's advisor and bodyguard, Enforcer of New Council of Tirisfal, Rehgar Earthfury's gladiator slave and Champion of the Crimson Ring|
Mandrel Nightsbane, T'rel Moonblade, Cesta Stargazer, Relfthra (distant ancestors),|
|Companion(s)||Varian Wrynn, Broll Bearmantle|
Valeera Sanguinar, along with Broll Bearmantle, was a companion of Varian Wrynn. She eventually became an enforcer for the New Council of Tirisfal, and accepted the position of an advisor and bodyguard to Varian in Stormwind, with the caveat that she retain her independence.
She culturally identifies as a blood elf, taking pride in her people's traditions and defending their tribulations and loyalties. However, she herself acts independently of the Thalassian government, and has formally joined neither the Horde nor the Alliance since her introduction but is fiercely loyal to Varian and his son Anduin.
Valeera herself maintains that her loyalties are personal, to her friends and her ideals.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Location
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Quests
- 5 Quotes
- 6 In Hearthstone
- 7 In Heroes of the Storm
- 8 Notes and trivia
- 9 Speculation
- 10 Gallery
- 11 Videos
- 12 Patch changes
- 13 See also
- 14 References
- 15 External links
World of Warcraft: The Comic
When Valeera was young, her family was killed by bandits. She survived both the bandits and the Scourge, eking out a living by stealing what she needed. One time, she stole a scroll to find that it contained information on her own family: her ancestor Relfthra was a high elf mage and member of the secret Order of Tirisfal. However, one day when trying to steal a shaman's talisman, she was caught and jailed. Showing her fighting prowess by injuring several of the guards in the process, it's possible that is how she attracted the attention of the Arena promoter. The day before she was to implement her escape plan, Valeera was sold to Rehgar Earthfury so she could join Bloodeye Redfist and Broll Bearmantle in team combat in the Crimson Ring. Soon after, Bloodeye was killed and Broll told Valeera the stories of both Rehgar and Bloodeye.
After Bloodeye's funeral pyre, Valeera and Broll were being transported in a caged wagon to Orgrimmar to be trained as gladiators. On their way, they were joined by a human who had washed up on the seashore with no memory. When they reached Orgrimmar, they were caged once again; the human who did nothing but brood, while the two elves argued.
That evening in the cages, Broll offered the human a meditation remedy, and the man had a brief flash of memory. The meditation was interrupted by Valeera, which nearly caused her and Broll to come to blows. Valeera, Broll, and the amnesiac human trained in the ways of the gladiator in the Ring of Valor and learned to look out for one another, since rival gladiators would test their mettle against the novice team in fights to the death while their trainers would gamble on the outcomes. Eventually the three traveled to Dire Maul in Feralas where the gladiatorial contests took place. After many bloody battles, they emerged the victors of the Crimson Ring tournament. Impressed by Varian's skill at arms, the crowd gave him the orcish moniker Lo'Gosh; which means "Ghost Wolf".
After winning the Dire Maul gladiatorial contests, Rehgar sold Valeera to Helka Grimtotem, a gladiator mistress, for 2000 gold. Helka wanted Valeera to lead an all-female gladiator team consisting of an orc and a troll. However, soon after they set out for an exhibition game on the Merchant Coast, Valeera escaped with the wyvern Bristlefur. Valeera then went searching for Broll and Lo'Gosh, who had escaped from Rehgar Earthfury. As she followed them, she discovered that an assassin was also trailing them. She eventually caught up with the assassin and, after catching him off guard, killed him with the help of some local beasts. Worn out from the fight, she was rescued by Aegwynn who saw great things in her.
Aegwynn reunited her with Broll and Lo'Gosh, who was revealed to be the lost king of Stormwind, Varian Wrynn. The three were determined to stay together and set out for Stormwind City to return Varian to his rightful throne. During the trip across the Great Sea, Valeera helped Varian and Broll defend the ship against attacking naga, but during the fight she absorbed the arcane energies of a Naga sea witch's trident; this act was what started her addiction to mana.
After she arrived at Menethil Harbor, she, Varian, Broll, and a dwarf called Thargas Anvilmar started the journey towards Ironforge. On their way they were stopped by Vendellin Soulfire, a blood elf warlock sent to assassinate Varian. He placed the mark of Kathra'natir upon Valeera and by doing so caused the demon Kathra'natir to possess her.
Because she was infected with the fel energies of a demon, her addiction was exacerbated. During Valeera's lapses of self control, the demon would occasionally gain influence and take control of her body. When the group got to Ironforge, Lo'Gosh and Magni conversed and were secretly being followed by a bearded man. Valeera sensed arcane energy being manipulated and witnessed the man creating a dagger with the intent to kill Lo'Gosh. Valeera quickly subdued the man, but he transformed into a black dragon and fled. She was left behind in Ironforge to adjust from her withdrawal from magic while the rest of her companions embarked on a mission to rescue Marshal Windsor. Secluded in her room, the demon tried to take control of her body by feeding her feelings of abandonment, using visions of her deceased parents to verbally abuse her. Valeera regained control of her senses when a vision of Aegwynn told her she was not alone and that she had people like Broll and Varian who loved her. She later rendezvoused with Varian and Broll after their mission, informing them that she was better and in control of herself again.
When the group got to Stormwind City, she helped reveal Onyxia's treachery and traveled with King Varian back across the sea to finally kill her. After Onyxia's death, Varian offered both Broll and Valeera a permanent place in Stormwind, in which they could act as Varian's bodyguards and advisers. Valeera and Anduin convinced Varian that he should create peace between the Horde and the Alliance, but when the peace summit was about to happen, Broll was summoned to Darnassus, which saddened Valeera. Aegwynn cheered her up, telling her that she has talents but also burdens and responsibilities. During the summit, Theramore was attacked by the Twilight's Hammer cult. Although the Twilight Hammer's attack was repelled; the peace summit was ruined and both the Horde and Alliance were left in distrust of one another.
When the Scourge attacked Stormwind, Valeera stayed in Theramore to investigate the perpetrators of the ambush. Valeera made a deal with Garona to rescue her son Med'an in exchange for her cooperation in revealing the identities of her masters. She later partnered with Meryl Winterstorm and traveled with him to Ahn'Qiraj to save Med'an. They found Med'an hanging on the dead body of the old god C'Thun and rescued him. However, before they could get away from the ruins of Ahn'Qiraj, they were intercepted by Cho'gall who fell Meryl with one strike. Valeera absorbed some magic from Meryl and Med'an in order to grow strong enough to fend off Cho'gall, giving Med'an, who had just regained consciousness, enough time to heal Meryl. Cho'gall was still too powerful to defeat and, becoming desperate to stay alive, Valeera offered herself willingly to the demon inside her in order to use the demon's power to fend off Cho'gall. When Meryl regained consciousness, he teleported them all away from Cho'gall. When they reached a secure location, Valeera, still possessed by Kathra'natir, lusted over Med'an's power and tried to possess him but Med'an was able to reject Kathra'natir's advances. Meryl, who alongside the Council of Tirisfal had banished Kathra'natir thousands of years ago, challenged the demon to possess his powerful magical body instead in order to lure the demon away from Valeera's body. As the demon tried to possess him, Meryl proved himself the stronger of the two wills and repressed the demon within his body. Meryl then asked Med'an and Valeera to never tell anyone about what happened between him and the demon.
She later aided the New Council of Tirisfal with recruiting new members, defending Theramore and aiding Med'an and Garona in battling Cho'gall. She was last seen at the funeral of Aegwynn. She returned to Stormwind City and remained there until around the time of the Lich King's death.
Wrath of the Lich King
During the Scourge Invasion, at Stormwind Harbor, Valeera appeared underneath a statue complaining about the hospitality of the Alliance and urging the Alliance and Horde to remain focused on the threat of the Lich King.
It is implied by Broll Bearmantle during the War Against the Nightmare that her recent use of fel magic in her fight against Cho'gall may lead to a resurgence of her magical addiction. When Broll visited Stormwind, he asked Varian about Valeera. Varian responded that the young blood elf left Stormwind a few weeks ago and no one knows where she is.
When the Uncrowned begins looking into the suspicious activities of SI:7 and Mathias Shaw, Valeera works on deciphering an encrypted letter that had been clutched in the hands of the dead Amber Kearnen and asks that the rest of the Uncrowned work to throw SI:7 off her trail. Eventually, Valeera discovers the location of the Raven's Eye, a gem created by Havi long ago for his pet ravens Huginn and Muninn and then taken by Kur'talos Ravencrest. With the Raven's Eye, she could decipher the message that Amber Kearnen had held. A fellow Shadow of the Uncrowned retrieves it for her from Black Rook Hold. After deciphering Kearnen's message, Valeera, and the Uncrowned learn that Shaw has been replaced by the dreadlord Detheroc.
When Magni called upon the champions of the Armies of Legionfall to draw the corruption out of the Sword of Sargeras, Valeera carried The Kingslayers, and , if the player was not a rogue, representing the Uncrowned.
Before the Storm
Having remained close to the Wrynns and now serving as Anduin's personal spy and deliverer of secret messages that even Mathias Shaw didn't know about, Valeera was tasked by Anduin to send a letter to Baine Bloodhoof about initiating a meeting between Forsaken and their living relatives. Although Valeera admired Anduin's optimistic efforts to make the Horde and Alliance true allies, she cautioned him to be careful as it is likely that many would not support it.
Valeera later reported back to Anduin that Perith Stormhoof had refused to accept Anduin's letter out of fear it would endanger his chieftain. However, she also noted that there is a chance that he may still tell Baine Bloodhoof the contents of the message. She also gave Anduin a letter from Baine which told Anduin he was pressured by Sylvanas Windrunner to cut off all contact with him, as well as a small piece of Baine's horn to serve as a memento of their friendship. As Anduin lamented that his pool of trusted comrades was growing smaller, Valeera reassured Anduin that he can always count on her friendship but warned him as king, he cannot afford to trust unwisely.
Battle for Azeroth
Please add any available information to this section.
Continuing to serve as a messenger between Baine and the Alliance, Valeera sneaked up on the Wind's Redemption in Boralus and informed Jaina Proudmoore, Mathias Shaw, and Halford Wyrmbane that Baine wanted to meet Jaina outside the ruins of Theramore to right a wrong that the Horde had inflicted on the Proudmoore family. Jaina initially didn't trust Valeera, until Mathias Shaw reminded her that Valeera had been a trusted friend of Varian.
Valeera was alongside Mathias Shaw when he announced to King Anduin that his agents of the SI:7 were unable to track down N'Zoth. She later witnessed the arrival of Magni Bronzebeard accompanied by an advisor, who is none other than Wrathion wishing to help defeat the Old God.
She later traveled to the Great Seal within Dazar'alor to inform the Speaker of the Horde that Wrathion had returned and was working with Magni Bronzebeard. She subsequently sent the Speaker to aid Magni and Wrathion in their efforts, while hoping that the rest of the Horde and Alliance could set aside their squabbles to face N'Zoth.
Following the fall of N'Zoth and the end of the Fourth War, Valeera informed the Speaker that the leaders of the Horde had gathered together in Orgrimmar to nominate a new Warchief within the Orgrimmar Embassy, and that their presence had been requested. Following the formation of the Horde Council in favor of a Warchief, she declared that a new era was beginning. While not directly stated, it was implied that she was the one that delivered the terms for the armistice between the Alliance and the Horde.
Valeera met with Shaw in Stormwind City where she asked him what he was going to do next. This prompted him to say that there was someone he'd like to get to know better. Valeera then encouraged him to find happiness while he could.
When the Scourge began to rampage across Azeroth with the Lich King gone, Valeera asked Horde heroes to report to Lor'themar Theron in Orgrimmar. After Lor'themar revealed that Thrall and Baine Bloodhoof had been abducted, she revealed that Jaina Proudmoore and Anduin Wrynn had also been abducted, and that an attempt was made on Tyrande Whisperwind, who neutralized her attackers.
After remarking how she would not partake in the political posturing between the Horde and Alliance, due to having friends on both sides, she spoke with Calia Menethil, and the two affirmed a friendship between them.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Battle for the Undercity||??||801,300|
|Hall of Shadows||99 - 110||5,047,846|
Please add any available information to this section.
- Vision of Stormwind
- Cheap Shot
- Cloak of Shadows
- Fan of Knives
- Kidney Shot
World of Warcraft: Comic
- "As a babe, I drank in magic with my mother's milk. I didn't ask to be dependent on it. And it helped me to survive! What right does Broll have to blame me for the choices of my people or the circumstance of my birth?
- "And yet...I can hear little else over the demon's cries and promises! Can it truly stop the ogre? Do I dare let it try? I'm no Warlock! Once it's loosed, I can't hope to control it! Broll would say better to die than free it."
- "I'm not! Well, okay... I am young for an elf, but our kind age differently than you humans do." (Clearing Lo'gosh's confusion)
- "I am neither Horde nor Alliance. What has either faction ever done for me?"
- "My loyalties are personal-- To King Varian and to his son!"
- "We can be trusted Broll. To fight as we choose with all our powers with mind and body. To know our friends from our enemies. And to avenge all slights against us. You can place your trust in that!"
- "Nothing is worse than betraying those you love!"
- "I take my anger out on our enemies! Unlike some grouches…"
- "My whole race was nearly exterminated by the Scourge. Those who survived and fought in partnership with the Alliance were betrayed. Was it so wrong, then, to ally with Illidan and the naga... to save the few who remained?"
Wrath of the Lich King
- I heard the Horde is amassing its own army to head to Northrend. HOPEFULLY your Alliance and the Horde can focus their aggression on the real threat. You know, instead of each other?
- Somehow I think that's unlikely to happen, if my experience here is any indication. Your people have been SO welcoming to me.
- <Valeera mutters angrily to herself.>
- Main article: The Final Shadow#Notes
- Main article: A Worthy Blade#Notes
- Main article: The Shadows Reveal#Notes
- Main article: A Matter of Finesse#Notes
- Main article: Closing In#Notes
- Main article: Traitor!#Notes
- Main article: Return to the Chamber of Shadows#Notes
- Main article: Throwing SI:7 Off the Trail#Notes
- Main article: Maw of Souls: Ancient Vrykul Legends#Notes
- Main article: The Raven's Eye (quest)#Notes
- Main article: Off to Court#Notes
- Main article: In Search of the Eye#Notes
- Main article: Black Rook Hold: Into Black Rook Hold#Notes
- Main article: Deciphering the Letter#Notes
- Of course I will serve as your champion. In for a copper in for a gold as they say. We work well together. I bring out the best in you.
I am ready to go wherever is needed, do whatever it takes, to assure the goals of the Uncrowned are met.
- My loyalties are my own.
- The pleasure is mine.
- I wouldn't cross me if I were you.
- Let's talk.
- Do you prefer your entrails cut julienne, or brunoise?
- I will be your death!
- You seriously do NOT want to cross me!
- They'll never see me coming.
- Without a trace.
- Al diel shala.
Battle for Azeroth
- Vision of Stormwind
- Champion... Shaw's lieutenants hold the keys to SI:7 headquarters. They're hunting down anyone who opposes N'Zoth.
- We kill them, take the keys... and then we kill Shaw.
- Got the key. This... thing is what drove Shaw mad.
- The keys need to be used at the same time, or the gate won't open.
- The keys need to be used at the same time. You take one monolith, I'll take the other.
- Now it's just us and Shaw. Let's finish this.
- It's done... but Stormwind is still lost.
- I'm leaving the city. I suggest you do the same. Watch your back.
- Stormwind Keep and Dazar'alor
It saddens me that the Alliance and Horde can only seem to set aside their differences in the face of total annihilation.
If we do prevail against N'Zoth, will you yet again turn your blades on each other?
- Orgrimmar and Stormwind Embassy
If history has anything to teach us, it is that peace between the Alliance and Horde is perilously short-lived.
- Main article: Death Rising#Horde
- Valeera is the default hero (player character) for the rogue class in Hearthstone. Her flavor text reads: "Expert assassin. Deadly gladiator. Best knife skills in her cooking class, according to survivors."
- Winning 1,000 Ranked or Arena games as a rogue unlocks the alternate, pirate-themed Cap'n Valeera hero, whose flavor text reads: "Better keep things shipshape, or she might get a little salty."
- In the Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion, the nine heroes of Warcraft have been raised as powerful death knights of the Lich King, with Valeera being resurrected as Valeera the Hollow. Her flavor text reads: "Run away. Hide in your precious keeps, behind your walls and your bodyguards. Night always falls, and shadows will fill your hallowed halls. One day, one of those shadows will be me."
- Valeera appears as a legendary Fighter mercenary in the Mercenaries game mode.
In Heroes of the Storm
Valeera is a playable character in Heroes of the Storm.
Notes and trivia
- Valeera appears in World of Warcraft: The Comic. Described as being "young, hot and bitter", she has come to realise that the world has become a very different place since the destruction of Quel'Thalas.
- Things that Valeera hates include rain and people who threaten children.
- Three of Valeera's night elf ancestors are buried in Heroes' Rest, Black Rook Hold's cemetery: Cesta Stargazer, Mandrel Nightsbane, and T'rel Moonblade, indicating that her family originally came from Val'sharah or the surrounding regions in Suramar.
- The young Anduin Wrynn referred to Valeera as Val during the time when she was teaching him how to throw daggers.
- Strangely enough, Valeera and Broll Bearmantle were not present at the funeral of Varian Wrynn, although it is possible that both were heavily involved with their class orders, as they later assist the Uncrowned and Cenarion Circle in their efforts against the Legion. In Book of Heroes she expresses regret that she was unable to accompany Varian to the Broken Shore.
- In , Jaina Proudmoore doesn't know who Valeera is, which is odd considering that they were both members of the New Council of Tirisfal (which may no longer be canon) and later both fought side by side during . However, she mentioned in the following quest that she personally trusts Valeera's intentions, but that she does not discount the possibility that this meeting is nevertheless some "Horde manipulation".
- Her surname is derived from the Latin word sanguis, meaning "blood".
- Valeera Sanguinar is a blood elf rogue featured in DC Unlimited's World of Warcraft: Series 1 action figure set.
- It was said early on that she would be physically attracted to the main human protagonist of the comic series. This idea has not been visited in the comic and Varian even refers to her as a child several times.
- Valeera is voiced by Tara Platt.
- From her in-game debut in 2008 until patch 8.2.5 in 2019, it took Valeera 11 years to receive a model that matches her artwork.
- In the beta of World of Warcraft: Shadowlands, Valeera was present during and stood with the Horde Council.
- Given her role as a go-between and courier between their two factions, Valeera may have been the one to have secretly helped Varian and Lor'themar Theron open negotiations just prior to the Purge of Dalaran, regarding the possible re-admission of her people back into the Alliance.
Status with Quel'Thalas
Valeera's current standing with her homeland is unclear. She proudly identifies herself as a sin'dorei, and has defended her people's courses of action (including the alliance with Illidan and the naga, the methods of siphoning magic to deal with arcane addiction, joining the Horde after Garithos's bigotry, etc.) multiple times throughout the comic series. Her background was a point of lingering contention between her and Broll Bearmantle, who declared blood elves traitors to the Alliance and disapproved of her mana-tapping ways, though the two would gradually go to form a close friendship. She was born and raised in Quel'Thalas, and when not in her armor, Valeera wears red clothing, the color of the blood elves. Valeera survived the Scourge invasion and was evidently present in Quel'Thalas throughout its reconstruction and the spreading of Illidan's teachings, where she acquired her emerald eyes. She seems to have eked out her life independently as a pickpocket some time after this, before being thrown into Orgrimmar's prison cell for a failed attempt at stealing an orc's talisman in Kalimdor.
While Valeera appears to be generally welcome in Horde lands, at least in Orgrimmar and in Thunder Bluff, unlike her fellow rogue Renzik, she apparently does not make a secret of her allegiance to Anduin, even leaving through a portal to Boralus with the Alliance after Saurfang's funeral.
Given their last names, she may be related to the blood elf paladin Lord Sanguinar.
Because Valeera wields The Kingslayers when drawing the corruption out of the Sword of Sargeras if the player character is not a rogue, it could be speculated that she was the one who canonically foiled the plot of the Veiled Hand to bring about the downfall of Stormwind, which would fall in line with her established loyalty to House Wrynn. Alternatively, she could have been given the weapon just for that occasion.
The same model during the Scourge Invasion.
Valeera during the battle for the Undercity.
Valeera standing behind the Cathedral of Light.
Valeera with Shalamayne.
Valeera Sanguinar from the TCG.
Valeera in the Great Seal.
- The Comic
Valeera Sanguinar art from a Hearthstone blog post.
Cap'n Valeera alternate hero.
Nightslayer Valeera alternate hero.
Gladiator Valeera alternate hero.
Diao Chan Valeera alternate hero.
Deathmantle Valeera alternate hero.
Garden Party Valeera alternate hero.
At the front of the Hearthstone Mercenaries key art.
- Heroes of the Storm
Valeera's artwork in Heroes of the Storm.
Icon for Valeera's Sinister Strike ability in Heroes of the Storm.
Icon for Valeera's Vanish ability in Heroes of the Storm.
The Valeera Sanguinar action figure.
- Patch 8.2.5 (2019-09-24): Model updated.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Re-added.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Removed.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.
- ^ a b c Before the Storm, chapter 11
- ^ a b The Characters of Warcraft/Valeera Sanguinar
- ^ Valeera Spotlight
- ^ a b c The Comic Volume 4
- ^ a b
- ^ a b World of Warcraft: The Comic, Issue 16: Threat!
- ^ a b c d e World of Warcraft: The Comic, Volume 1: Stranger in a Strange Land
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Comic, Issue 0: Prologue
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Comic, Issue 2: Killing Ground
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Comic, Issue 3: Destiny Awaits!
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Comic, Issue 4: Balancing the Scales
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Comic, Issue 6: Blood
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Comic, Issue 7: Revelations
- ^ a b World of Warcraft: The Comic, Issue 8: The Return
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Comic, Issue 9: Through the Mirror Darkly
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Comic, Issue 11: Descent
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Comic, Issue 14: Into the Jaws of Death!
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Comic, Issue 15: Conflicting Loyalties
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Comic, Issue 17: Gathering Thunder!
- ^ Beginnings and Ends
- ^ Stormrage, chapter 4
- ^ Stormrage, chapter 21
- ^ War Campaign Finale - For Azeroth
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB7DKeye3pE - Visions of N'Zoth - Intro Cinematic
- ^ Shadows Rising, chapter 18
- ^ World of Warcraft Trading Card Game: Blood of Gladiators. Blizzard Entertainment. 150: Valeera Sanguinar.
- ^ Metzen talks about Wow Comic Book @ San Diego Comic Con
- ^ Showdown!, pg. 19
- ^ :: Blizzplanet :: World of Warcraft # 1 Comic Book - DC Comics Walter Simonson Q&A;