- For lore, see warden.
|Faction||Night Elf Sentinels|
|Hit point regeneration||Always|
|Hit point regeneration rate||0.90 (+0.50 at Night) HP/sec.|
|Mana Regeneration rate||0.81 Mana/sec.|
|Gold||425 (0, If hired first)|
|Lumber||135 (0, If hired first)|
|Produced at||Altar of Elders|
|Build time||55 sec.|
|Normal attack||22-42 (32 avg)|
|Can attack||Ground, Structure, Debris, Item, Ward|
|Cooldown||1.46 (Basic 2.05) sec.|
|Armor||4 (Basic -2)|
|Movement Speed||Fast (320)|
The mysterious wardens serve as the night elves' special police force in Kalimdor. Set apart from the militant Sentinels, wardens are usually employed as jailors, assassins, and bounty hunters. When loosed upon escaped criminals, wardens employ a number of supernatural powers that enable them to recapture their prey and mete out the night elves' justice. Wardens have a line of sight teleport ability called "blink," which they can use to outmaneuver even the quickest of foes.
|Level||Strength||Hit Points||HP Regen Rate
|Agility||Armor (In-game)||Cooldown||Attack (Ground/Air)||Intelligence||Mana||Mana Regen Rate|
|1||18||550||0.90 (1.40) HP/sec.||20||4.0 (4)||1.46 sec.||22-42 (32 avg)/None||16||240||0.81 Mana/sec.|
|2||20.4||600||1.00 (1.50) HP/sec.||21.6||4.3 (4)||1.44 sec.||23-43 (33 avg)/None||18||270||0.91 Mana/sec.|
|3||22.8||650||1.10 (1.60) HP/sec.||23.2||4.9 (5)||1.40 sec.||25-45 (35 avg)/None||20||300||1.01 Mana/sec.|
|4||25.2||725||1.25 (1.75) HP/sec.||24.8||5.2 (5)||1.39 sec.||26-46 (36 avg)/None||22||330||1.11 Mana/sec.|
|5||27.6||775||1.35 (1.85) HP/sec.||26.4||5.8 (6)||1.35 sec.||28-48 (38 avg)/None||24||360||1.21 Mana/sec.|
|6||30||850||1.50 (2.00) HP/sec.||28||6.4 (6)||1.31 sec.||30-50 (40 avg)/None||26||390||1.31 Mana/sec.|
|7||32.4||900||1.60 (2.10) HP/sec.||29.6||6.7 (7)||1.30 sec.||31-51 (41 avg)/None||28||420||1.41 Mana/sec.|
|8||34.8||950||1.70 (2.20) HP/sec.||31.2||7.3 (7)||1.27 sec.||33-53 (43 avg)/None||30||450||1.51 Mana/sec.|
|9||37.2||1025||1.85 (2.35) HP/sec.||32.8||7.6 (8)||1.25 sec.||34-54 (44 avg)/None||32||480||1.61 Mana/sec.|
|10||39.6||1075||1.95 (2.45) HP/sec.||34.4||8.2 (8)||1.22 sec.||36-56 (46 avg)/None||34||510||1.71 Mana/sec.|
Alsa Iron-cell, The Iron Raven, Marin Bladewing, Shalis Darkhunter, Sira Moonwarden, Saithis, Malace Shade, Kiri Starstalker, Anaya Felgrove, Mirana Starlight, Felhala Starmoon, Drelanim Whisperwind, Cordana Felsong, Nalmeena Darkfollow.
A cunning Hero, adept at entering and escaping combat. Set apart from the militant Sentinels, Wardens are usually employed as jailors, assassins, and bounty hunters. Attacks land units.
The Warden cannot attack air units unless she uses Fan of Knives or Shadow Strike.
The Warden is an assassination type Hero that can require a lot of skill to use. Unlike the Demon Hunter, she can't take the same amount of damage before dying. She lacks the Immolation and Evasion abilities and other bonuses that allow the Demon Hunter to survive in melee combat much longer. So the way you play the Warden is a little bit different. She is best played by sending her in to cast Fan of Knives or Shadow Strike, then run or Blink her away once the enemy starts beating on her. She can also assist in melee combat if the enemy is not attacking her. If you don't spend time controlling her and ignore her in battle, she can easily die. But in the right hands of an advanced player, she is very deadly. People find new respect for the Warden.
It's best to buy some Healing Potions or Healing Salves to use with the Warden because she quite often is found with low health. You can also send her back to the Moon Wells to heal.
Unlike the Demon Hunter and Keeper of the Grove, the Warden has Hide! Use this ability during battle when the enemy focuses their attention on her. Then once they move on to other targets, come out of "cloak" and attack. You can even Blink away if they continue to surround your Hero.
Skill point usage is usually Fan of Knives, Blink, Fan of Knives, Blink, Fan of Knives, Vengeance, Blink or Shadow Strike, Blink, Shadow Strike, Blink, Shadow Strike, Vengeance, Blink. Alot of people are seeing the power of Shadow Strike against Heroes and enemy units. You can go Fan of Knives/Shadow Strike and ignore Blink but typically you don't have enough mana for both. Some people go Blink at level 1 then rush the enemy. But this is risky and not always very effective. You can also go for level 3 Blink first instead of Shadow Strike or Fan of Knives to get rid of the 10 second cooldown.
The Warden is a GREAT anti-Hero rush Hero when she uses her Shadow Strike. Shadow Strike slows the enemy Hero so you can catch it earlier. It has a damage over time component that continues to hurt a Hero after they teleport away. It also does an initial strike damage! You can even get fancy by Blinking ahead of the enemy, casting Shadow Strike or attacking, then doing it again as the enemy gets further away.
The Warden has one of the best ultimate abilities for the Night Elves: Vengeance. In FFA games, or games that go to level 6, you will find this ability very useful. Make sure you run the Avatar of Vengeance away if the enemy targets it.
Spells and abilities
- Lie in wait for enemies without attacking (Will respond to attacks).
- Units will hold position and hold their fire, so when they are Shadowmelding, they will not break their own invisibility.
- It's very handy for running away from a battle. The Hide ability is disabled during the day.
- Requires 1.5 seconds to Fade.
Fan of Knives
The Warden flings a flurry of knives at multiple enemy targets around her.
|Cooldown||Mana Cost||Allowed Targets|
|9 sec.||100||Air, Ground, Enemy, Organic|
|Level||Area of Effect||Effect||Hero Level Req|
|1||40||75 damage per target, 300 max damage||1|
|2||45||125 damage per target, 625 max damage||3|
|3||47.5||190 damage per target, 950 max damage||5|
Make sure you use this ability only when the enemy is nearby. It's easy to cast this by mistake otherwise. You cannot aim this ability because it aims itself.
Fan of Knives also damages invisible units around the Warden (but they must be detected to be damaged), this also applies for Burrowed units.
Short distance teleportation that allows the Warden to move in and out of combat.
|Teleports to target area.|
|Level||Cooldown||Mana Cost||Range||Hero Level Req|
-Blink's range is about a half to a full screen radius.
- -This spell is useful for getting out of danger when surrounded by the enemy.
- -Blink is also useful for catching up to enemy units that are running away.
- -Blink is very useful for traveling somewhere very quickly. Just keep blinking ahead.
- -Blink is useful for crossing barriers such as Rivers, Trees, islands, etc.
- -Blink can't be used to escape disabling abilities such as Ensnare, Entangling Roots, and so on.
- -Blink does not work when the Warden is immobilized by a spell.
- -Units that are following the Warden will stop following if she Blinks. This is intentional.
Hurls a poisoned dagger which deals large initial damage, and then deals damage over time.
- The poisoned unit has its movement rate slowed for a short duration.
|Duration (Slow)||Cooldown||Mana Cost||Range||Allowed Targets|
|15 (3) sec.||8 sec.||75||30||Ground, Air, Enemy, Neutral, Organic|
|Level||Effect||Hero Level Req|
|1||75 strike damage, 10 damage every 3 sec., Movement Slowed 50%||1|
|2||150 strike damage, 30 damage every 3 sec., Movement Slowed 50%||3|
|3||225 strike damage, 45 damage every 3 sec., Movement Slowed 50%||5|
This ability is useful against single powerful targets, especially Heroes. This is an excellent anti-hero ability. If they teleport away, the poison damage is still active and they can die once they arrive at their location! =)
Shadow Strike cannot be removed by Banish. Don't forget, Shadow Strike can hit air units!
Creates a powerful avatar that summons invulnerable spirits from friendly corpses to attack your enemies.
- When the Avatar of Vengeance dies, the spirits vanish.
|Duration||Cooldown||Mana Cost||Effect||Hero Level Req|
|180 sec.||180 sec.||200||Summons an Avatar of Vengeance||6|
- Gives Night Elves the ability to see as far at night as they do during the day.
- Patch 1.29.0b (2018-04-10): Blink cooldown rescaled from 10/10/1 to 10/7/4.
- Patch 1.25b (2011-03-08): Shadow Strike mana cost increased from 65 to 75.
- Patch 1.17 (2004-09-20): Shadow Strike is no longer removed by Banish.
- Patch 1.15 (2004-05-10): Fan of Knives level-2 base damage increased to 125 from 120, and level-3 base damage increased from 180 to 190. Although this appears to be an upgrade, it actually is a reduction in overall power. The previous patch had a bug at levels 2 and 3 in which, if 6 or more targets were available, the ability did more than the expected amount of maximum damage. This change remedies that error.
- Patch 1.13 (2003-12-16): Shadow Strike level-1 DoT damage reduced to 10 per period, down from 15.
- Patch 1.10 (2003-07-03): Fan of Knives maximum damage reduced to 300/625/950 from 350/675/950, and damage per target reduced to 75/120/180 from 90/135/180.
- Patch 1.07 (2003-07-01): Added.