World of Warcraft: Free Trial introduces a new way to begin the great adventure. With this World of Warcraft free trial, a player can create their hero, join the Horde or Alliance, and venture to the mysterious island of Exile's Reach in search of a lost expedition. As a player leaves Exile's Reach behind, the lessons mastered will help as they embark on the Battle for Azeroth content. Advance the hero to level 20, then continue playing as much as is wanted! When ready to progress further, simply subscribe to access an ever-growing universe and continue leveling to 50.
- Characters can be any race, including Allied races, if those have been unlocked prior.
- Characters can be any class, including Death knight and Demon hunter.
- Characters can level up to 20.
- Unlike the Starter Edition, where after reaching level 20 the game acted as if the character is max level (turning quest experience into money and removing all other), in the Free Trial the game stores any obtained experience even after reaching level 20, and immediately levels the character depending on how much was stored once subscription is bought.
- Also unlike the Starter Edition, the player is allowed to stop their experience gains.
- Characters can have up to 1,000.
- Characters can learn any professions from any expansion except Shadowlands.
- Unlike in Starter Edition, characters are not restricted in how high they can level the professions, nor are they restricted in what recipes they can use.
- Also unlike the Starter Edition, there are no restrictions on Archaeology.
- Players can speak in
/instance. Characters that are at least 10 levels above yours will not be able to hear your
- Players can
/whisper, but only to players on their friend list. Players can also respond to other players'
- Timewalking Campaigns cannot be unlocked. However, content of all expansions other than Shadowlands is still available through Hero's Call Board/Warchief's Command Board.
- As a consequence, Dungeon Finder can only be used to access dungeons from Battle for Azeroth expansion.
- The above restrictions do not apply to veteran accounts that already unlocked Timewalking Campaigns by reaching level 50 on at least one character. Said accounts will be able to use Timewalking Campaigns even if their subscription runs out.
- Battlegrounds, both regular and Epic, are available.
- Certain battlegrounds are not available since they require above level 20 to queue for them.
- Pet Battle System is not available.
- Guilds and Communities are not available.
- Characters cannot form parties or invite other people to the party, but can be invited to the party by other people.
- Characters cannot trade in any way - whether directly, by using mail or by using an auction house.
- Real ID is not available.
- World of Warcraft Voice Chat is not available. Battle.net Voice Chat, however, is.
- While In-Game Store is available, WoW Tokens and Services are not.
Available zones and dungeons
List of zones available via Free Trial:
* Dungeons other than those from Battle for Azeroth require veteran account with Timewalking Campaigns unlocked
- Free Trial is not available in the Classic release, including subsequent expansion "Classic" releases such as Burning Crusade Classic.
- Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): Added.