|See also: guidelines, administrators|
This page is an official policy on Wowpedia.
This policy has wide acceptance among editors and is considered a standard that all users should follow.
Personal articles should be located as subpages of the author's user page (e.g. User:<insert name here>/My WoW fanfiction).
A personal article is any article in which the original author wishes to retain primary control over the article or receive credit for the work, regardless of whether or not collaboration from other authors or editors has been invited. These include almost all works of fan fiction, and pages which are primarily the work of one author who wishes to receive credit for the work.
- Any wiki contributor can move personal articles to the author's sub-page.
- Authors can move them back if they wish to surrender control over the page. Make a note on the talk page that this is indeed the case so it does not get moved again.
- Conflicts can be resolved by voting.
There are several benefits to locating personal works under one's user page.
- It helps to provide clear credit for work, and provides a convenient breadcrumb to the writer's user page.
- It makes it clear that the author retains control over the page. In the general namespace, readers are invited to be bold in editing anything they see, and articles are all open collaborations with no credit given for individual contribution within the article itself. If a writer wants more control over his or her creation, locating it under his or her user page provides clear notice of this intention. The extent to which the owner of the page wishes to invite collaboration from others can be made clear on the page itself.
- It helps keep works of fan fiction distinct from the articles on lore, so that a reader can immediately tell whether a link is to an article on lore or a creative work. Also, it avoids possible naming conflicts between articles on official lore and works of fan fiction.
- If you want to link to your personal articles, without having your user name attached to it, using the code
[[User:<insert name here>/My WoW fanfiction|My WoW fanfiction]]will make it appear as "My WoW fanfiction".
- Generally personal articles should not be linked to from official articles.