- Not to be confused with Yalia.
|Occupation||Master of the Omnia discipline, Champion of the Conclave, Alchemist|
Tswen-luo (father), unnamed mother, unknown number of siblings, nieces, and nephews, maternal grandmother,|
Chen Stormstout (lover)
Yalia Sagewhisper is the Master of the Shado-Pan's Omnia discipline. These spellcasters are charged with maintaining the wisdom, knowledge, and sacred traditions of the order. She is also the current gatekeeper and she decides who can join the order.
Born as Yalia Sageflower to a prosperous fisherman among many siblings in Zouchin Village, as she grew up Yalia came to understand that her hand in marriage would be given to the son of another fisherman. However she couldn't help but notice that she had not one but two candidates, Yenki and Chinwa. Over time both pandaren began to compete for Yalia's affection and possessing wisdom beyond her years realized their rivalry would not end even after her hand in marriage had been won. Realizing that this rivalry would only end with one of the pair dead and the other left in guilt, which would destroy both lives Yalia made the difficult decision to leave the village; she was not yet even six years old. With the support of her grandmother, who wrapped her granddaughter up in her favorite scarf, she traveled from the village towards the Shado-Pan Monastery where Taran Zhu accepted her into the order and gave her the name 'Yalia Sagewhisper'.
The Trial of the Red Blossoms
Shortly after the Horde and Alliance discovered Pandaria and explored the continent, Yalia was faced with initiating new pandaren initiates into the Shado-pan. To that end she began the Trial of the Red Blossoms, overseeing the first trial being the Test of Resolve. After the first trial, she led the four remaining initiates (Ten, Pei-Ling, Heavy Chan, and another boy) to Master Wan Snowdrift so that they could undergo the second trial, The Test of Strength. However during this test to the shock of the Shado-pan a sha interrupted the test and attacked the initiates, but the three survivors were able to work together to defeat the sha.
Over the next week, Master Snowdrift would give the initiates acolyte uniforms as he determined that they had proved their worth, only for Yalia to take them back the next day as three trials had not yet been given, only two. After mildly arguing over the matter, they agreed it was up to Hawkmaster Nurong to decide.
Nurong, after explaining to the initiates the full consequences of having been exposed to the sha at such a young age and how it would affect them for the rest of their lives, simply asked, for their Trial of Spirit, if the three were still willing to take the Shado-pan oath and face the sha again, much to Yalia's shock. Scowling, she protested that the oath can not be the test and must only come after the three tests have been passed. However, Nurong warned her to not instruct him on his duties and reminded her that tradition has the Wu Kao master administer the final test. He explained that the initiates had elected to serve their people, knowing full well what terror awaited them in the coming years and that they had shown the courage and strength of spirit that the order needed in the dark days it now found itself in.
Mists of Pandaria
Shadows of the Horde
With both Vol'jin and Tyrathan Khort recovering at the Shado-Pan Monastery, Yalia was concerned that the Shado-pan could be dragged into the Horde-Alliance conflict. She was further concerned that the two might try and kill one another while they were recovering from their injuries. However, both Chen Stormstout and Taran Zhu were able to appease her concerns by promising to inform the warriors of a "no-kill rule" and about how the Horde and Alliance had been helping the Pandaren.
Meanwhile, due to his numerous visits to the monastery, Yalia found herself growing close to Chen and they would end up traveling to Zouchin together, wherewith his encouragement Yalia revealed herself to her family, to their great joy. When word came that the Zandalari were going to attack the village the pair helped evacuate the village, while Vol'jin, Khort, and Shado-pan agents fought off against the Zandalari. Yalia would escort her family amongst a group of refugees to stay at the Stormstout Brewery alongside Li Li Stormstout before returning to the Shado-Pan Monastery, where after a short period she was reunited with Chen who had escaped the Isle of Thunder with his companions. It was then that Yalia became part of The Thirty-three and fought to protect the monastery against the Zandalari. It was while setting traps against the Zandalari that Yalia and Chen admitted their feelings for one another and kissed while admitting their desire to have cubs with one another. After successfully repealing the Zandalari offensive, Yalia and Chen parted ways, as Chen promised to return, but decided to help Vol'jin launch the Darkspear Rebellion, and Yalia promised to wait for him while she aided the Shado-pan.
The Thunder King
Yalia can be found among the Shado-Pan Assault force which seeks to put an end to the Thunder King, she is there to assist the player and Taran Zhu in the final confrontation with Shan Bu, and is there to witness Taran Zhu quelling the fighting between the Sunreavers and the Silver Covenant.
As some of the best alchemists that the Conclave at Netherlight Temple had to offer, Yalia and Zabra Hexx traveled to Azsuna to aid the Illidari on the front lines against the Burning Legion. Prophet Velen sent the Conclave's High Priest to find the two of them so they could prepare an extract that would grant him a vision of the future. While in Azsuna, Yalia and Zabra were attacked by the local murlocs, and dropped the supplies they were delivering to the Illidari while they fled. The two were also separated in their fleeing. After the High Priest saved Zabra from basilisks and helped to rescue Yalia from the murlocs that had imprisoned her, Yalia and Zabra looked for ingredients for Velen's elixir while the High Priest delivered their supplies to the Illidari. Afterward Yalia expressed admiration of the High Priest's willingness to help, and told them that they did not need to go into battle with the Burning Legion alone.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Isle of Thunder||90||945,459|
|102 - 110||582,866|
|Azsuna||102 - 110||1,039,267|
- Townlong Steppes, Isle of Thunder
- Greater Heal
- Holy Smite
- Power Word: Fortitude
- Divine Circle of Renewal
- Netherlight Temple
- Fel Prison
- Holy Fire
- We will not rest until our duties here are done.
- Well met.
- May the light guide you.
- How may I help you?
- Be blessed by the light.
- Light is right.
- What is it?
- Even the light can run out of patience!
- Stop that!
- You test my faith!
- Please take your body and soul elsewhere!
- Do not make me mind control you off a cliff!
- Keep the shadows at bay.
- Stay vigilant.
- Our enemies shall fall before us.
- You lead, I follow.
- Our duties await.
- Our enemies underestimate the power of the light.
- I will protect you.
- They have to get pass me first.
- Let the light protect us.
- I will shield you from harm.
- Shadows begone!
- The light will prevail.
- We must endure!
- I will light the way.
- Your willingness to help is admirable, and it gives me insight into what kind of leader you will be. I know you mean to gather priests from all factions and lead them in a battle against the Burning Legion. It's an extraordinary task, but one that you will not have to embark on alone.
Notes and trivia
- Interestingly, Yalia makes several mentions of the Light in her on-click voice quotes despite Jojo Ironbrow giving the impression that the Light is a foreign concept to pandaren when the Tushui arrive in Stormwind. However, the Light is also mentioned in Omnia priests' quotes, indicating that knowledge of the Light is already well established among some of the pandaren by the time of adventurers' arrival in Pandaria. One possibility is that the term is not used on the Wandering Isle (Jojo's home), but is used on Pandaria.
- She a stickler for tradition, and objected when Nurong did not conduct the Test of Spirit of the Trial of the Red Blossoms the traditional way for Ten, Pei-Ling, and Heavy Chan, even due to their unusual circumstances. Ironically, Yalia herself never had to go through the Trial of the Red Blossoms at all to join, due to being six years old and her own set of special circumstances.
- Yalia has stated that she is quite aware of the irony of presiding over a trial of initiation that judges who can join, when she herself never went through it.
- Yalia is noted to be dour-faced, wearing her gray hair pulled back behind her ears, and speaks with a stern voice.
- Yalia is voiced by Minae Noji.
- In the Legion alpha, Yalia was originally present in Netherlight Temple during the quest The Light and the Void, she was replaced by Delas Moonfang in the beta.
- At some point during testing she was named Mi-Lee Cirrus.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added.