- For world boss, see Yu'lon (tactics).
The Jade Serpent,|
the Great Serpent,
the Celestial of Wisdom, Spirit of Wisdom and Foresight
|Occupation||Leader of the August Celestials|
- “There is but one certainty - every end marks a new beginning.”
Yu'lon the Jade Serpent is one of the four creatures known as the August Celestials who watch over Pandaria. Yu'lon watches over the Jade Forest. She is the spirit of wisdom, but also represents spring, youth, growth, and nurturing. She occasionally disguises herself as a pandaren girl named Fei.
- 1 History
- 2 Locations
- 3 Quests
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Notes and trivia
- 6 Speculation
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Videos
- 9 Patch changes
- 10 References
- 11 External links
- Main article: August Celestial#Early history
Long ago, the titanic watcher Keeper Freya gifted her walking stick, fashioned from one of the branches of Fu Zan the first tree, to the August Celestials, and Yu'lon vowed to keep the staff safe. For thousands of years, even during the dark reign of the mogu empire, she did just that. Yu'lon suspected that, if Fu Zan would pass to someone, it would go to a jinyu or a pandaren since she considered the hozen to be too innately violent to be trusted with such a gift. They were often selfish and shortsighted, unable to work together long enough to build a proper civilization of their own. But as time passed, Yu'lon questioned her assumptions. There were different forms of wisdom and courage. It was easy to see the short-lived, short-tempered hozen as troublemakers, but they lived full lives-wild lives-in the years they had. Yu'lon felt Fu Zan begin to awaken. It needed a new companion. The Jade Serpent knew that soon she would honor Freya's wishes and allow a worthy mortal to carry Fu Zan. And she was becoming certain that it needed to be given to a hozen.
Freya's words became clear the moment Yu'lon laid eyes upon one exceptional and uniquely clever hozen. He called himself the Monkey King. Yu'lon could see the Monkey King's motivation. It was simple: he disliked the sight of blood. At the most fundamental level, this was a creature who loathed battle and loved peace. And from that, he had achieved what no other hozen ever had. Yu'lon needed to know how deep the Monkey King's cleverness ran, so she visited him in disguise. All the Monkey King saw was another hozen, but this one did not call him king or bow before him. He demanded that she show respect. Instead, the newcomer asked him a riddle, telling him that a true king would have no trouble answering it. He snapped out the correct answer in seconds. She gave him another. He answered again. On and on they went, for three days and three nights. The Monkey King grew enraged, but even in his anger, he continued to answer her questions. Yu'lon was convinced. Violence and tyranny were not in the Monkey King's nature, or he would have tried to shut her up with force long ago. She revealed her true form-which caused considerable chaos in that hozen village-and presented him with Fu Zan, the Wanderer's Companion. The Jade Serpent told him the story of Freya and how the staff had come to be. Then she warned him: she sensed that, one day, his cleverness would not be enough to stop evil. When that day came, he would need to act decisively. The Monkey King did not believe her.
The mogu empire
During Lei Shen's conquest of Pandaria, he and the mogu overpowered the four August Celestials. Yu'lon was the last Celestial to remain uncaptured, and she spread wisdom to the pandaren of the Jade Forest during their time under the mogu empire. During a visit to one of the slave camps, Lei Shen sent a bolt of lightning streaking across the sky that pierced Yu'lon's body and sent her crashing to the earth. Yu'lon awoke underground, where the pandaren had secreted her away to a hidden cave built in honor of the August Celestials. The Jade Serpent, so moved by what she saw, imbued the place with her magic to help the miners find the wisdom, hope, fortitude, and strength they had lost in life. But she was dying, and so she requested that the pandaren build a statue of her.
For a hundred years, generations of miners toiled. All the while Yu'lon, still wounded from the Thunder King's attack, drew closer to death. At the moment when the work finished, she breathed her last breath. The miners wept that they'd failed to save her, but the statue moved and its eyes opened; Yu'lon had been reborn through the statue, and to this day she still must reincarnate through a new statue when she grows weak.
The Burdens of Shaohao
When Shaohao climbed up Mount Neverest, the Jade Serpent appeared before him. Shaohao needed to know how to keep his land and people safe from the Sundering. She told him to go to the center of Pandaria and find the answer within.
Mists of Pandaria
Fei is a pandaren girl illusion used by Yu'lon to test the adventurer in the Jade Temple, and later in the Serpent's Heart after completing the main storyline of Jade Forest and takes the adventurer to Valley of the Four Winds.
Every hundred years, an enormous jade state is built in the temple grounds, so Yu'lon can transfer her life essence into the sculpture, which would then turn into a new being. This cycle has been going for generations.
Temple of the Jade Forest
- Main article: Liu Flameheart
During the encounter with Liu Flameheart, roughly around 30%, she summons Yu'lon to defend her. After Yu'lon is defeated, she frees the priestess of all doubt, killing her and flying off.
The trial of Yu'lon is a test of wisdom and faith. With omens of a bleak future floating through his mind. Emperor Shaohao climbed to the summit of Mount Neverest to seek the counsel of the Jade Serpent. Yu'lon urged Shaohao to cast off the dark emotions that plagued him, and through his trials, Emperor Shaohao would become one with the land. To pass the trial of the Serpent, warriors must be wise in their choices.
Siege of Orgrimmar
During the quest , the celestials alongside the ghost of Shaohao, Lorewalker Cho and adventurer gathered around to begin to heal the Vale. She flies around in a circle after the tree was planted upon the ground to begin the process of healing Pandaria.
After some time, the Monkey King sensed that his travels with Fu Zan were nearing their end. So, he traveled to the temple of Yu'lon and passed the staff back into her care so that one day it can again be given up to another who is worthy to wield it.
Yu'lon and other Celestials chose to hold a trial involving the members of the Alliance and Horde rather than sentence Garrosh Hellscream among themselves. During the trial, Yu'lon took the form of the Panda cub from the Jade Forest as a show of respect to the gathered races.
The Jade Hunters
Later on, the dwarves learned of how Yu'lon inspired the pandaren miners to seek knowledge and escape the mogu's grip, and of the hidden refuge the pandaren had built underground to worship the Celestials in secret. After Emperor Shaohao's teachings and the Great Sundering, the miners' descendants would build the great temples in honor of the celestials and founded the order of the August Celestials to uphold their teachings. The three masons realized that the 'mine' Fei had sent them to was the very refuge that Yu'lon experienced the death of her natural body.
When they returned as friends from their journey, Fei revealed her true form to them and they watched her fly away until she was a vein of jade in the diamond sky.
Warlords of Draenor
Yu'lon can be summoned by an item called during Ashran battles.
When the Burning Legion invaded the Temple of the Jade Serpent, Yu'lon was wounded. She was aided by the Monkey King, Priestess Summerpetal, and the Grandmaster of the Order of the Broken Temple who defeated the attacking demons and healed her. Renewed, they all entered the Heart of Jade and attacked the leader of the assault. While the mortals fought against Lord Korithis, Yu'lon faced Yigthregor. Zpon Korithis's death, the grateful Yu'lon bestowed upon the Grandmaster and transported them to the Temple of Five Dawns on the Wandering Isle.
Battle for Azeroth
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Temple of the Jade Serpent||87 - 92|
|Vale of Eternal Blossoms||??||11,494|
|98 - 110||6,752,710|
- The Burdens of Shaohao Part 1—Doubt
- Yu'lon: What troubles you, young emperor?
- Shaohao: Countless demons will soon pour over Azeroth! What must I do to save my kingdom?
- Yu'lon: Seek out the heart of Pandaria, for the answer lies within.
- Shaohao: But how can I find it?
- Yu'lon: Your emotions cloud you. Free yourself of these burdens, let the land be your teacher.
Mists of Pandaria
- Main article: Why Do We Fight? (quest)#Notes
- As Fei
- Hey there!
- <The little girl squints at you.>
- I overheard you talking to the Elder Sage. He's pretty serious, isn't he?
- Well you're in luck, because I hear just about everything that happens around here.
- Greetings, little one.
- May joy be in your heart.
- I will guide your way.
- A new day is upon us.
- What do you seek, my child?
- Spring will bloom.
- May your journey be joyful.
- Wisdom guide your path.
- Farewell little one.
- The cycle always turns.
- Main article: The Jade Serpent#Notes
- Main article: Moving On#Notes
- Main article: A Witness to History#Notes
- Main article: The Might of Three#Notes
- Main article: Celestial Blessings#Notes
- Main article: Yu'lon (tactics)#Quotes
- Main article: Time-Lost Shrine
Warlords of Draenor
- Come close heroes, and let me heal your wounds.
- Main article: The Trial at the Temple#Notes
Notes and trivia
- During Legion, she could be summoned using the artifact trait .
- Like the Dragon Aspects, the August Celestials have the ability to take on mortal forms. Yu'lon's mortal appearance of choice is a young pandaren girl named Fei, used in the Jade Forest and at the trial of Garrosh Hellscream.
- A master sculptor devoted her life to creating an incomparably beautiful statue, inspired by her love and reverence for Yu'lon. When the sculptor passed away, Yu'lon breathed a fraction of her essence into the statue, bringing Yu'la into the world.
- The is thought to be a living embodiment of Yu'lon's own jade breath.
- Fenella Darkvire noticed that in either form, Yu'lon has strange red eyes, which the dwarf described as "eyes ancient like elementium."
- Yu'lon (玉龙, pinyin: yù lóng) is Chinese for "jade dragon".
- In the early Mists of Pandaria beta, Fei used a female pandaren adult model placeholder.
- In the original four symbols of Chinese mythology which the August Celestials are based on, the dragon in the East is blue instead of green. However, it should be noted that Classical Chinese lacked distinct terms for blue and green, using the term qīng (青) for both colors. (Modern Mandarin Chinese uses lán (藍) for blue and lǜ (緑) for green.)
- Yu'lon is voiced by Alyson Reed.
The Archaeology artifact used to refer to Yu'lon as male. While it's possible this was simply an error by Blizzard, it may have suggested that Yu'lon may get reincarnated as either male or female, even if her current incarnation is female. This was eventually corrected in patch 6.0.1, so presumably it was the former rather than the latter.
Fei during the Mists of Pandaria beta.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added.
- ^ Liu Flameheart#Quotes
- ^ The Characters of Warcraft/Shaohao
- ^ Adventure Guide entry for Sha of Doubt
- ^ a b
- ^ Archived page
- ^ Nethaera 2012-09-11. Mists of Pandaria Zone Preview: Jade Forest. Retrieved on 2019-02-25.
- ^ a b The Chronicle of Ages#Fu Zan, the Wanderer's Companion
- ^ Legion: Monk Artifact Reveal
- ^ a b c The Jade Hunters
- ^ The Burdens of Shaohao
- ^ Li Li's Travel Journal, part 5
- ^ Yu'lon (tactics)
- ^ War Crimes